Have you made adequate preparations for your retirement?
Are you confident you have made adequate preparations for your retirement? Even if the answer was yes a few years ago, the changing economic and financial climate has probably dramatically reduced your expected income from savings or pensions.
These days, with increasing life expectancy and advances in healthcare, it is not uncommon for people to live for twenty to thirty years after they retire. This can be more than half the time they spent working!
The keys to successful retirement planning are:
- Plan well ahead. It is never too early to start retirement planning.
- Think wider than just pensions. An adequate income for life in retirement can be made up from many sources including part-time earnings, investment and rental income.
- Maintain balance and flexibility. Nobody knows their future life expectancy or how long they will enjoy good health. Inflation and other economic crises could take their toll. It is therefore important to maintain an appropriate balance between high and low risk exposures and to revisit plans regularly in the light of changing circumstances.
- If you own a business consider what you want to do with it. Will you pass it on to others in the family or do you plan to sell it? It is wise to prepare your business exit strategy well in advance.
- Consider the impact of nursing or care home fees and have a plan for how you will fund them if needed.
Murray Taylor can help you create a comprehensive retirement financial plan – giving you peace of mind to enjoy life to the full now and into the future.
For more information about any aspect of our Retirement Planning services, please call 01674 672555 or complete the contact form here.